South Eastern Steam Centre Ashford
Ashford Engine Shed was built by the Southern Railway in 1931 and served in that role until June 1962, following which it was used to service diesel locomotives. In 1968 the sheds were taken over by Esmond Lewis-Evans who was setting up the South Eastern Steam Centre Ashford, opening in 1968. In 1974 the centre was opening to the public on the second Sunday of each month. Various rolling stock was stored on site some owned privately and some by Mr Lewis-Evans.
The centre did not the support it needed and by the mid 1970s the debts were mounting up. The end came in May 1976 when it closed. Items were still stored on site until the late 1980s. In 2005 most of the site was sold for housing development.
South Eastern and Chatham Railway (SECR) Class O1 built Ashford September 1986. Built as a goods engine following the first world war she was allocated to Ashford Shed, often to be seen as banking loco on the Folkestone Harbour branch. Withdrawn from service by BR, as 31065 on the 24th June 1961. Then stored at Ashford early in 1963. Mr Esmond Lewis-Evans purchased the engine from the BRB for its scrap value. She ran at the centre pulling demo passenger trains using a variety of stock including the DDs. In this photo the DD can be seen in the distance behind the loco.
The SECR O1 number 65 with one of the 4DD coaches (Believed to be 13004).
N15 King Arthur class 4-6-0 30777 Sir Lamiel. The Southern Railway ordered the loco from the North British Locomotive Company who constructed it in June 1925. The engine served until withdrawal in October 1961, when she passed into the ownership of the National Railway Museum. Currently based on the Great Central Railway.
Back way before Health and Safety Red and White tape appeared. This was the entrance for the public to the Centre.
Latest Update 27th August 2018